Why become a member? ×

Sansamp RBI Hum

danpb

I put a new rig together today, when I finished I tested it with a couple of basses and I was really happy. But I went back to it a couple of hours later and it was too noisy. It sounds like ground hum.

Sansamp RBI
Orange 4 Stroke
Rack mounted and powered with Samson power conditioner.

I've tried bypassing the power conditioner and just used 2 power cables, tried a few different instrument, patch and speaker cables, it doesn't matter if a bass is plugged in or not or whether I'm plugged in direct or through my pedal board.I've tried a couple of sockets incase it was a dodgy plug. I've narrowed it down to the Sansamp because if I plug directly into the Orange there's minimal noise. With the 'Active' button on it's at its worst, obviously because the gain is amplifying the hum, but it's still there with the Sansamp off.

I'm not sure what could have changed in a couple of hours?

Any ideas how I can get rid of the hum? It's too loud to be used at rehearsals or gigs. A search online suggests something like the Ebtech Hum Eliminator between the Sansamp and Orange would do it?

Thanks

Edited by danpb

Most likely a ground loop between the RBI and amp. The Ebtech would work or Pyle makes a less expensive unit. You could also try if you have an old 1/4" cable around, cutting the shield at one end of the cable and use that cable between the RBI and Orange. That would break the ground loop. Also if possible try the connecting the RBI and amp in a different location. 

So I tried an ebtech, no difference, if anything slightly worse?

tried the cable trick before and it was the same.

i took it to practice yesterday and plugged it into the amp their and it was pretty much the same so I’m guessing it’s a faulty unit.

oh well, going back to the shop tomorrow.