Why become a member? ×

Warwick SSI intonation problem

Guest BassKS

Hi guys,

Its me again.

I ve a Warwick SSI four stringer which, many will agree, that its a nice bass and I wouldnt possibly think about parting with it. However, I have been facing a few difficulties with it lately. Sometimes it's in tune and then it comes out of it, even during gigs. I tune it back but then "C" on the A string doesnt quite sound right. I fret an F# on the E string and F# 8va on the same string, it's off by a considerable amount. When I take it home it sounds ok but im not quite sure what the problem is. I had it checked out by the Bass Gallery guys and they said nothing's wrong with it. Well, I think theyre wrong as it deffo dont sound right. Any ideas what I can do about this, at least give me a few pointer so that I can ask the local techs (Bass Centre) what to do? If anyone is willing to own up to it I can pay them if they know what theyre doing, or kill them if they ruin my bass :-). I reckon its a truss rod relief/tension but on a maple neck, NT design I really dont wanna go solo and try tightening the nut.

Thanks

I know a few of the earlier Streamers had catastrophic neck issues, but these were more obvious than an intonation problem. If the guys at The Gallery are saying it’s all good, then maybe it is all good? If you know that it’s definitely got some issues then maybe take it in and show them exactly what the problems are. If you can get them to see/hear the problems with you there then maybe they’ll get a better understanding of exactly what it is that’s not quite right.

Did you show them the problem when you gave it to them before, or tell them about it and hand the bass over to be looked at?

well, I was rather stupid and just aske them to do the usual set up strings,intonation and lleft it to them to actually sort it out, thinking that the obvious problem would be alleviated and difficult to be overlooked. I was wrong. I need to take it to Chris at the bass Gallery.