Why become a member? ×

Whole bass rig gone microphonic?!

davebass66

So, I set all my gear up as usual for a gig last night and the strangest thing happened, for the first time ever my amp was picking up the sound of the cables on the floor, any pedals being tapped or turned on/off as well as everything on the body of the bass being amplified (tapping the wood, tapping pots etc)

this has really got me spooked, I was hoping it was dodgy power at the venue but just set it all up at home and it’s doing the same! It’s come out of nowhere?!

my rig is Aguilar AG700 and SL410. Also use a pedal board which is powered with a one spot. Have tried with and without pedal board and using different basses...still happens.

anyone experienced this or can think what might cause this?! 

Thanks!!

Are all cables shielded, i.e. is there possibly a speaker cable in the set?

If the power starts to die (condensers dry or die), the OneSpot may act as a hum generator. Can you measure it or test with another power supply? There should not be lots of AC voltage.

Last thing is if you have loose parts. Check every effect, cable, connection...

Appreciate the comment on this, having checked with some other cables I'm pretty sure it was in fact the instrument cable that was the culprit - does seem mad that it would just suddenly start doing it though right?! They were high spec cables...Anyway, new Rock-Wire cables on the way. :)