Why become a member? ×

EBS MetalDrive - misleading name? - really cool for low gain

mcnach

I've just got my hands on one of the black label series MetalDrive pedals. I already have a non black label MultiDrive, which I really like. It covers a lot of ground and I generally use it for moderate levels of gain overdrive sounds. I am not entirely happy with what I've tried so far for higher gain sounds... the inexpensive Joyo Ultimate Drive is my favourite, which I keep removing to try other 'better' pedals, and always manages to make his way back onto my pedalboard. I was disappointed with the SA Aftershock... well, not disappointed, it is a GREAT pedal, but it required more tweaking than I was ready to do to get the sound I wanted... It is potentially the best and most versatile dirt pedal out there... but I like simple pedals with simple controls. The Ultimate Drive always gets back.

I thought I'd try the MetalDrive, as I saw it for sale here a few days ago, thinking it would do the higher gain sounds better than the MultiDrive. Well... it does sound good for high gain... but I actually prefer it for low gain. Using the Tube Sim mode, the drive knob allows you to start with no discernible distortion, and slowly thicken up the sound all the way up to seriously distorted sounds, but it's in the low gain range that I think it sounds best. I've often tried overdrive pedals looking for that elusive thick low gain overdrive that's barely perceived as overdriven, but has such a nice body, reminiscing a little of classic valve amps... The MetalDrive does it better than most others I've ever tried, if not better than all of them.

So it looks like I might be using this for low gain stuff after all, keep the Multidrive for slightly more overdriven sounds and even high gain, and the Joyo Ultimate Drive gets to stay... It refuses to be beaten! :D