Why become a member? ×

I've killed my Peterson tuner pedal..... :(

BassJase

I plugged it into a mains 9v power supply and it made a crackle then smoke came out of it and it stank the room out.
I'd nevere tried it mains before, just usually used the battery, but I wanted to put it on my pedal board and use a powerbank.
Before I plugged it in I checked the polarity and stuff and it seemed fine to use, but apparently not.

I've just now read the tech gumf more thoroughly, and the adaptor says "AC adaptor. Output DC 9.0v, 300mA."

But the back of the Peterson says "9v nom. 7-12VDC@85mA Max."

Just wondering if anyone has any idea whats the next course of action for it, i.e pay for it to be fixed (if its at all fixable) or bin it and buy another pedal tuner.
Any help/advice/sympathy would be much appreciated.....

Cheers y'all. :)

Normally items like the tunre should be protected against plugging in a reverse polarity and all you should do is blow a chip or fuse. I have to say if it stunk the place out, it will be serious of a close to fatal kind..... By all means take it to a Petersen dealer to see what they say but I'm pretty confident I know what the answer will be......!

The potential current draw of your transformer shouldnt have been the problem..... are you sure you plugged the power suply in the correct socket? I know this is a potentially insulting question, but if you had checked all the details before merely plugging in a power supply that has potential to supply more current than was required , that alone would not fry the innerds!

Cheers for the help and advice mate, and yeah I made sure it was in the right input socket. I've scanned the internet and apparently there are a few batches with niggles and i'm guessing that this is just one of those unfortunately.
I'm gonna drop it off to a tech as soon as I can find one who might be able to help me out, and find out whats the best course of advice what to do next.

I really don't hope I have to bin it, but what will be will be.... :)