Why become a member? ×

De-fretted Precision

Prosebass

[quote name='Jase' post='333558' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:17 AM']Looks great! One question....why did you re-cut the slots? Just wondered if it matters whether slots are filled or left open :)[/quote]

Its virtually impossible to remove frets without a bit of board damage. This is ok with a re-fret as the frets cover the damage. What I do is cut the fret slot wider so it has clean sides with no damage. Then I filled it till it was flush and re-cut the slots but only to a depth of 1mm, so not really re-cutting them. I then "drew in" the frets and then french polished.
Just thought I'd try it like that ! and it looks really neat. Normally on a de-fret I fill with veneer and finish them flush, but that takes a lot of time.
My Hofner S7B was de-fretted in 1982 and I used it for 10 years with open slots, so in my experience it has no affect on the bass whether you fill them of not.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Protium' post='333570' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:43 AM']Aha so it was you who bought that body :huh: I was watching it but missed the auction :)[/quote]

It was indeed....a customer had just asked if I could make them an inexpensive lined fretless in bright red so not having to spray a body kept the price right down for her.