Why become a member? ×

NBD - Kala U bass fretless

chickenjames

Hello gang

here’s my micro-review of my new Kala U-bass!

I’ve had it for just over a week now. 

Model: Kala U-bass mahogany fretless

Well, it’s just completely lovely. Feels great to play. Sounds like a double bass plugged in. My 2 bands thought I was having a laugh until I plugged in and started playing. It has a huge, deep sound. Think deep, old-fashioned thump.

Sustain - miles less than a P-bass but that’s part of the fun. Playing in tune (I haven’t been near a fretless for 25 years) - challenging but as long as you listen you get the hang of it quickly.

Don’t try to go too far up the neck. After about the 10th fret it gets weird.

Strings do need to get stretched. The G tended to droop a bit but it’s hanging in there now.

The socket is a little stiff. I’m guessing this will loosen over time but it has led to the strap button coming unscrewed a couple of times.

I got it from Bassdirect - they had lots. Their website talks about a strap button needed to be fitted - ignore this. The U bass strap comes with shoe laces, just tie this round the nut. The button at the other end is end - except that I had to open the strap hole up a lot with a knife before it would go over the button.

Both bands completely loved it and the sound, and I can’t wait to play it live.

2D8F695A-EAF2-42EC-AB7F-E526687B7E11.jpeg

• Like 1