Why become a member? ×

Feedback needed on neck through and one piece instruments

planethead

Thinking about building a short scale copy of the Ned Callan currently being restored in the Build Diaries. Having scored a nice plank of honduras mahogany over 2 metres long there's enough to build a complete instrument in one piece.

It appears there are conflicting arguments around single piece instruments. Most people seem to agree that tone is improved because the integrity of the wood remains intact but others say single piece instruments are prone to splitting cracking warping etc the neck being especially vulnerable; more so on a bass when made from a single piece of mahogany!

Everyone agrees laminated necks improve strength...

I thought one way to combine both approaches would be cutting the body and a central neck fillet as one piece, then cutting additional longer fillets to joint into the body and laminate to the central fillet. This would keep the neck 'connected' to the body but supported from swaying by the jointed sections.

I don't know if this is how it's done by professional luthiers, would welcome any thoughts, suggestions or links to tutorials?

EDIT: Just found this [url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Bass_guitar:_Necks/1/Bass_Neck_Blanks/Instructions/I-5200.html"]article[/url] at StewMac

So my other (and simpler) option is cut the neck body as one piece and glue wings either side.

ttfn

Edited by planethead

[quote name='BigRedX' post='329759' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:08 PM']It might also be worth posting this question in the Luthiers Forum on TalkBass[/quote]

Thanks for that now on TB and another [url="http://www.mimf.com"]Musical Instrument Makers Forum[/url] possibly a little formal for some but seems to have a range of talent.

ttfn