Why become a member? ×

SOLD: (head sold, cab still for sale) Ampeg V4 SET head+cab
£1600

boroman

Downsizing my collection, part 2: (BETTER PICS IN FEW DAYS, SORRY!)

1974 Ampeg V4 100W head with reverb and matching V4 4x12" cab. 

VERY LOUD...

Story: this set came from US studio where Ramones were recording in late 1970s and 1980s. Studio does not function anymore and guy who has sold me this amp bought from them a enormous mixing console (Studer, Neve? Don't remember well), some outboard and this Ampeg head and cab. He was told that this particular set was used for guitar on few Ramones recordings. I have no certificate to show you that's true and what were those recordings. Maybe there are some sites/photos to proove that. I don't know. Take it more as "interesting fact"...

The amp came with pretty bad power tubes (old, emission less than 30%) so they went to trash after seeing my tech (risking a tube fail with burning components was too high). Amp has gone general cleaning outside/inside and "Death cap" removed. Still is wired for 120V with 2-prong cord  and will need stepdown transformer to play on EU/UK voltages (750W minimum, 1000W recommended). It's original condition with 2-prong cord. It plays great, everything works, no problems, sounds awesome on bass and guitar. For that one I have bought a matched set of slightly used but tested good vintage Sylvania 7027As. I put them into amp and everything sounds great but you may check bias before serious playing (these are fixed bias amps, without a pot to adjust, so if you put a set inside it needs to be checked and resistor must be changed for correct value/voltage). Amp and cab takes well guitar and bass. I mean, it takes both GREAT. But beware of loud bass tones or bass-octave-fuzz --- cab is rated at 100W, head 100W+. You will be safer pulling 2 power tubes out, changing impredance switch to 4ohm (instead of 8) so you'll get 70W then. I did it on two shows when playing bass on this set (on that older tubes). 

Payment: bank transfer or PayPal (add 4,3%)

I'm located in Poland.
Shipping:  too heavy, too big... Two ways to deliver:
1) My "backline" friend is going on tour in UK early March. He drives thru Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and north France, then from south UK to Liverpool (I think near London / Birmingham). Can bring it to his bus on that trip for I think less than £100
2) Find a delivery company which does EU flat/houses relocation services and it can be done also that way. Maybe similar price, maybe higher...

If you want my tech to install bias pot, 3-prong cord or me to find you and buy you stepdown transformer, I can do that. PM me.
There's no way to internally change it to 240V (like on SVTs) without modyfying transformer windings or replacing it to new one, so keeping it in oirignal state you musyt use stepdown transformer.

Zdjęcie 27.12.2017, 13 23 45.jpg

Zdjęcie 27.12.2017, 16 54 50.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by boroman
partially sold
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@El_Picchu cab has original speakers. They are probably CTS or Eminence around 30W each. I bet for 80\% they are CTS square magnets. I don't have a proper (inch) tool to unscrew them for the box so I dont know exactly. One of the speakers has very little tore in the cloth (even not visible on the photo...), but it''s completely fine and sounds great. Please note that I will not ship this cab (read description above for possiblities). Cab is £600 if I decide to split this set.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...