Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Pro IV TBird Replacement Pickups

V2factoryman

Hi,

I recently acquired an Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro for quite reasonable money and would like to see if I can get a better tone from it. Better of course is very subjective.

Let me give you a brief history. I had a Gibson TBird years ago and found it had quite a muddy tone. I was used to Fenders and Rickenbackers. Recently I got GAS for another one but was put off by the price. I read that the Epiphone Pro IVs were very good so I thought I'd take a chance and just buy it, it wasn't local so I didn't have chance to play it.

It's now arrived, but the strings are very tired so it's not fair to judge it just yet, I've ordered a set of Elixirs which I have on all my other basses.

So my basic thinking is I'd like to look into upgrading the pups. I did think about upgrading the other hardware to the old fashioned chrome tuners and a chrome bridge, but I thought I'd wait until the latest Epi TBird is available first. If they've sorted the pups it will be awesome.

Does anybody have any experience of swapping their pups on an Epi and what did you use?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Andy.

Thanks. I've since played it through my stage amp (up to now I'd been playing it through a PJB Briefcase) with a Barefaced cab and it is absolutely.....well.....thunderous! Got a small gig tonight so will see how it sits in the mix. Once I get new strings on it as well the tone will change again. Might not make any changes in a hurry!