Why become a member? ×

Re-making the neck pocket

planethead

Out of interest, how have you calculated what the correct angle for the neck pocket is? Have you marked the neck heel after being set at the optimum angle using shims? Do you intend to reinstall the neck every time you need to check for fit? If you take too much wood out, you'll have to start again.

I should put this enquiry into context first - currently breathing new life into the nedster [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30038"]here![/url]

It looks to me as if the neck (glued) came away from the body and was reset off centre to the original fender style bridge (fixing holes still visible) This was replaced with the Gibson-style 3 point, centered to the now off centre neck? I've replaced the 3 point with an HS Supertone, better sustain but the intonation's out at the 12th - this with the bridge saddles down and pulled back as far as they will go! - the "taller" HS bridge pushes the action to around 5-6mm : more longbow than bass!

My thinking was to fill the pocket and re-rout. This would provide a stable method of repositioning the neck to a true centre line while shaping the heel angle to accommodate the higher bridge which may have to be moved back anyway. Also a good opportunity to use bolts instead of glue.

ttfn

- using the "original" bridge fixing holes to guess length I think this was a short scale from the off. It's a shame it's been neglected because in its original state it was a sweet little beginners bass! No oomph but great for plunking along to the Wombles!

It's possible the body/neck pocket was originally cut for long scale - not finished as such and then a short neck attached - it's a mystery.

.. you can count the number of Ned Callans - with this style of 'Shergold-made' headstock/etching - on one hand ;-)

Just found your link ref [url="http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/El_Guitar_Neck_Angle.htm"]here[/url]. Excellent.

ttfn

Edited by planethead