Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools and midi looper?

Westenra

So I stumbled across this;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpSn7ZYC0A

The bassist does a lot of looping but I don't see him actually doing it, which got me thinking. Would it be possible to have a looper set to some sort of Pro Tools backing track? I know Pro Tools is an extremely powerful software and can send midi messages so I don't think it's beyond the realm of possible. Anyone have any experience?

Yeah, Im not sure what kind of set up he has.

and you don't see him doing much with a looper ect. So I wonder if they are playing to a guide track - with parts taken out for when he plays. Then he arranges it to look like looping.

Or there is somone behind the scnenes....

He does do a lot of cool lopping in his other videos and you can see him using a midi controller.

Not sure about looping in protools

Most people seem to use Ableton for that kind of stuff.

There's load of videos on different ways to use the software to do this on youtube.

I have been thinking about getting a looping set up with Ableton..... well I had the thought yesterday.....

[quote name='knoxy26' timestamp='1507895161' post='3388612']
Not sure about looping in protools

Most people seem to use Ableton for that kind of stuff.

There's load of videos on different ways to use the software to do this on youtube.

I have been thinking about getting a looping set up with Ableton..... well I had the thought yesterday.....
[/quote]

It sounds like a cool idea, no more tap dancing! Do you have a midi controller?

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1507913038' post='3388794']
It sounds like a cool idea, no more tap dancing! Do you have a midi controller?
[/quote]

I have a Korg nano pad which I have been using to experiment with today with the view that if it works l will look into a midi pedal controller. Not sure I have found the best/most efficient way but at the moment, I have things set up as an effects rack. Two loopers and three sounds that.

Seems like it could work pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm part way through building a custom floor controller for Ableton. It'll be USB connected to my laptop and will output typed letters that can be mapped to Ableton's looper, then I can send a drummer a click, play along to programmed percussion and use VSTs to bolster the sound.

There's not a lot on the market that's suitable - I'm budgeting space for 25-30 switches.

Edited by DanOwens