Why become a member? ×

Recording the easiest way

astar

Please forgive my spelling and grammar, I'm dutch so I hope you'll bare with me. I've tried getting an answer on the dutch version of Basschat, but that seemed to result in a lot off discussions instead of an answer. Our new band would love to record our sessions, too take home and work with afterwards. Record then copy too a USB-stick(for instance) that's it... or so it seems, but no luck yet.

So far we have been using three types of recording methods:
1. Two mics into a mixer, into a analoge recorder and converting it in q-base. An enormous hassle.
2. The same mics into the mixer directly into a notebook, simple(just the way I like it) but horrible quality.
3. The easiest yet, our mobile phones, didn't sound as bad as the second method, but that's mostly because of the windows standard recording quality I think.

I've bought a Creative Audigy external soundcard for the notebook and would like to try the following:

Two mics into the mixer, run it into the soundcard/notebook and record. should be the easy way right?
But all those recording programs seem to need a degree in software-watchamacallit, are there programs that records without all kinds of parameters? Off course some settings adjustments are welcome.

A simple way of recording with decent quality, or am I asking for too much.

Best wishes
Aljan

1. Have you tried using [url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"]Audacity[/url]? It's fairly easy to use.
2. I have a [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/"]Zoom H2[/url] which works really well for me, if you're prepared to spend a couple of hundred euros. It's an all-in-one unit which saves you carrying a separate computer and microphones to recording sessions. The sound quality is surprisingly good.

S.P.

That H2 sounds like a good solution, but can it cope with louder volume that comes with "rock" music. I'm a bit scared that it will distort when confronted with my deaf bandmembers.

I'll have a look at Audacity tonight, carrying the laoptop isn't the problem, we'll be leaving it at our rehearsel room, copy paste too everybodies USB-stick and work/rehearse at home.
Main thing is that it's simple.

Thanks and if anyone has other alternatives please let me know, the more the marrier.

Aljan