Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb NT5 - 1992 - SOLD
£1400

woolf

PRICE DROP - £1100

This is a somewhat reluctant sale - I love it but just favour my 4 stringers.

This is a 1992 Warwick Thumb NT5 that has received some modifications along the way. Firstly, this was originally a fretless which I had converted a few years ago to fretted by Richard Meyrick (Luthier) here in Wales - I apologise to those fretless lovers who see this as a potentially criminal act. As such, the fingerboard is ebony instead of wenge. The intonation and setup is just fantastic and the frets still appear almost unworn, having received little use over the past few years. The only sign that indicates this was once fretless are that the side marking dots are positioned directly over the frets rather than in between them.

Secondly, the preamp is not original, it's however a great pre and to my ears doesn't colour the natural tone of the instrument, just allows the different frequencies to be amplified. The pre-amp was made by Kiz Zoltan of Zolkow Preamps, The only difference from a standard thumb-pre is that the middle knob is a pickup blend rather than a mid control.

Thirdly, in an attempt to reduce the weight of the instrument, I replaced all the original brass body hardware (Bridge & Control knobs) which had faded a bit, for the more modern Warwick non-brass equivalent. This has not effected the tone to my ears however I will include all the original hardware in the sale. The bass is however now a little lighter than it was originally, weighing 4.9 kg.

Lastly, you will also notice that the truss rod cover is blank, i.e. no 'thumb bass' script. Either this has worn off over the years or its a replacement, these can be purchased from Warwick at extortionate cost.

Overall, this bass is in excellent condition, with the relatively new frets and new body hardware, it has the look and feel of a new instrument, but with the compliment of all the great wood combinations and manufacturing-skill from what some consider to be the golden era of Warwick production.

If you're interested, I'll happily encourage a viewing / test at my place in Cardiff.

I'm willing to ship worldwide at buyers expense - the bass will come with a hard-shell case and will be bubble wrapped etc.

As for trades, of course i'd prefer a cash sale but will entertain trades - generally I'll consider anything with four strings.

Please see my feedback here on BC.

Cheers,

Graeme

**SOLD**

Edited by woolf

• 3 weeks later...