Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt Flatwound 2815, 40-95

Telebass

Have had these on for a couple of weeks now, and played two gigs with them.

Packaging: standard Ernie sealed pack with paper individual sleeves inside. Nice to see a diagram included of the best way to wrap them on install.

I needed to tweak the truss rod about an eighth of a turn tighter from a set of TI Jazz flats, so these are pretty low tension, though nowhere near as floppy seeming as TIs.

Like a lot of flats, they felt a little sticky at first, but this soon passes. Very roundwound sounding, although not as zingy as brand-new rounds.

Verdict: my new string of choice.

Hi Telebass,

Ten years ago, at 57, I bought my first bass. A 2007 LE Stingray. I made my first bass at 14, and after leaving uni, put it in the loft, where it stayed. The Stingray had roundwounds as standard. I then also bought a BFR Sterling, also with roundwounds.

Incredibly, our uni band had reformed in 2007, after 46 years. I hadn't seen my bandmates or played bass in all that time.

So, for the last10 years, I've suffered with blistered and bloodied fingers on my right hand after group practice sessions and gigs. I assumed it just was par for the course.

Two weeks ago, I'd had enough!

I changed the standard Ernie Ball slinky roundwounds for Cobalt flatwounds (45 - 100).

They sound even better to me than the roundwounds. BUT, THEY FEEL LIKE SILK. PROPPER SLINKY THEY ARE.

So smooth.

I chose exactly the same gauge as my roundwounds, to avoid making any adjustments to the truss rod, or nut slots, on both bases

I was very careful to fit them as recommended by Ernie Ball.

I also cut them off at 5 1/2 inches passed the centre of each post, having bent them at 5 1/4 inches. I put the correct lube on the saddles and nut slots.

I was very careful not to rewind/rebend the strings when fitting them to avoid breaking them.

I cleaned them with Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes before fitting. So, no sticky feeling.

I just wish I had fitted them a long time ago.

Now, 4 hour practice sessions with my band are so enjoyable, as are the gigs.

Verdict: My new and only string of choice.

Edited by titchfieldrelic