Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BA210V2 issue - Help needed

ellangus

My son bought a used BA210V2 from somebody yesterday.

We tested it at the seller home and all worked fine.

He took it to rehearsal later that evening and used it for around half an hour - all good.

He switched the amp off for a short period and when he switched back on there was no sound at all, the light came on but no sound.

He switched it off again left it for a few minutes switched back on and it was working again.

He brought it back home and so far we have found that the problem continues, we left it on for an hour with no problem.
We then switched it off - no sound again, switched off - left it for 5 minutes - switched back on - working again.

As it’s second hand and a private sale, we have no warranty.

He loves the sound of the amp (when working).

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

If you look at the block diagram in the manual you can see that the circuit is the pre-amp, then a set of separate buffers for Aux in, out, headphones, the a limiter before the power amplifier.

SO.......when its doing its not working thing....

1. If you plug in to the headphone socket do you hear anything?
2.If you plug a signal into the aux in or effects return do you get any sound?
3. If you crank everything up full without a guitar plugged in do you get any hiss?

IF:

1. You can hear through the headphone socket and not the speaker its the limiter or the power amp
2. If you hear no hiss at all then the power amp input stage is probably faulty
3. If you hear hiss out of the speaker but no signal sound when plugged into the input or the aux in/ effects return its probably the limiter
4. If you hear sound through the speaker when you plug in through the effect return but not when you plug into the main input then the pre-amp is the issue
5. If you get a signal out of the line out (that comes from the final stage of the pre amp) then its the Limiter or power amp.

Whatever the cause its something that is 'latching' when its hot. That sounds like a small component failure which a decent amp tech should be able to sort for you. It could be something a simple as a bias resistor breaking down or a small transistor or diode.

Its worth taking to a good local repair man, should not be an expensive thing.

That would mean that the pre-amp is working as this XLR comes out of the final stage of the pre amp.

Look at Page 14......

www.ampeg.com/pdf/manuals/ba_om.pdf

Looking at the diagram there is a mute between the pre-and power stages - it could be something as simple as an iffy mute switch. Could be input stages to power amp. The diagram shows two separate power amps with limiters one to the tweeter one to the 2x 10 so its unlikely to be 'the' limiter as there are two although they might be on the same bit of circuit board.

Again, suggest you take it to a service tech.

Spoke to Surrey Amps who do all the non-warranty repairs for the Ampeg distributors in the UK.

The chap I spoke to in the workshop asked how old the amp was - I told him I wasn't sure but when I described the issue, he said it's probably around 4 years old and was aware of the problem. He said it was in the power amp and that they could replace the part but there are a number (didn't say how many) of this part and that it would be prudent to replace all of them at a cost of £125 - £135 + VAT along with the cost of collection and delivery (£35 +VAT).

Obviously a known issue in Ampeg amps!! I wish manufacturers would stand by their products.

Luckily I have spoken to the guy we bought it from and he said he'd be prepared to take it back and give us a refund.

I've also spoken to a local amp tech who said he'd charge £30 to diagnose it (which would come off the price of fixing it if we went ahead).
He reckons it would be cheaper than Surrey Amps quoted. The seller also said he'd be prepared to to pay £50 toward that if we decided to go down that route.

[quote name='ellangus' timestamp='1497465288' post='3318470']
Spoke to Surrey Amps who do all the non-warranty repairs for the Ampeg distributors in the UK.

The chap I spoke to in the workshop asked how old the amp was - I told him I wasn't sure but when I described the issue, he said it's probably around 4 years old and was aware of the problem. He said it was in the power amp and that they could replace the part but there are a number (didn't say how many) of this part and that it would be prudent to replace all of them at a cost of £125 - £135 + VAT along with the cost of collection and delivery (£35 +VAT).

Obviously a known issue in Ampeg amps!! I wish manufacturers would stand by their products.

Luckily I have spoken to the guy we bought it from and he said he'd be prepared to take it back and give us a refund.

I've also spoken to a local amp tech who said he'd charge £30 to diagnose it (which would come off the price of fixing it if we went ahead).
He reckons it would be cheaper than Surrey Amps quoted. The seller also said he'd be prepared to to pay £50 toward that if we decided to go down that route.
[/quote]

Hmm I would be tempted just to get the refund and get something different. Just purely for the sake of reliability.
The local amp tech could possibly fix it. But if something goes wrong again or if he can't fix it then its just going to be a hassle.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1497477697' post='3318605']
Hmm I would be tempted just to get the refund and get something different. Just purely for the sake of reliability.
The local amp tech could possibly fix it. But if something goes wrong again or if he can't fix it then its just going to be a hassle.
[/quote]

I think that the refund is probably the best way - losing confidence in the brand now