Why become a member? ×

Buzzing

doggydoggy

I have a fairly cheap Fleetwood bass.The only trouble I have with it is that it's very unforgiving.By that I mean you have to be very precise with your fingering at certain frets or you get buzzing.As you'd expect it gets worse when you start slapping .The action is set fairly high.
Has anyone had anything similair?

It would be a good start if you have your bass set up. This will help find out if it's simply an adjustment thing or if you need the frets looked at.

There are some good videos on YouTube for showing you how to do this. Otherwise, take a look at the pinned thread in the repairs section, entitled "BCers prepared to look at a bass". Then contact someone in your area who can take a look.

[quote name='doggydoggy' timestamp='1495128675' post='3301539']
I have followed John Carruthers youtube vids to set up the bass-the only thing that's amiss is nut height which a touch high.With his string height I have worse buzzing so I'll have to raise it.
[/quote]

This is because the frets need leveling. Recrown and polish.
If you have bad frets then no amount of setup will help.
Also the lower the action the more gentle your touch needs to be.

Maybe a basschat member can help with this in your area. If your anywhere near south Durham I can. But there's a list of members ready to help in the repairs and technical section.

Edited by Twincam