Why become a member? ×

Choosing a Bass to Suit a Pickup?

Tripehound

I know it's normally the other way around. I recently bought a Roland GR-55 guitar synth together with the GK-3 which I fitted on a Reverend Double Agent - this combination sounds fantastic but at the moment it's more of an expensive toy than a usable tool.

I want to use it in the band where I play bass and so have bought the bass version of the pickup - the GK-3B - excited at the prospect of all those synth sounds, fretless basses etc which you get by flipping mode on the GR-55. Question is what to fasten it to?

I wouldn't dream of drilling holes in any of my lovely basses and there are warnings about damaged finish if you ever try to take the thing off should you use the supplied double-sided tape. I managed to use the mounting bracket on the Reverend thanks to the bridge design so it wasn't a problem there.

That leads me to thinking what I should get to mount this on to; I'm thinking relatively inexpensive (= not a lot of cash ATM) and have been told that Jazz style tends to lead to an easier installation. It's mostly going to be a platform for the synth but it would be good if it was a decent-sounding bass for those songs that need both.

Squier VM Jag or Dimension? Ibanez Talman? 5 or 6 string? Short scale OK?

Any suggestions or advice very welcome.