Why become a member? ×

P Bass Headstock Diagram

Lifer

Hello me again! Just received my Mighty Mite Fretless P bass neck from the states, all undrilled (as I expected) but one thing I didn't think about is how to get the string tree in the right place?

Does anyone have a Mighty Mite P bass neck diagram to show where the proper placement is?

Thanks again in advance

Have a look at a pic of any P-Bass. Then wait until you have the strings on, tune the top two to a bit lower than normal (to allow enough slack to push them down but still tight enough that they don't flop about), rest the string tree on the strings in the position you saw in the pics, then push it straight down onto the headstock, taking care you don't force the strings sideways. Mark the screw hole position with a sharp object - the screw itself will do if you can get enough pressure on it with your thumb to press into the wood slightly - and drill the hole.

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='311266' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:05 PM']Have a look at a pic of any P-Bass. Then wait until you have the strings on, tune the top two to a bit lower than normal (to allow enough slack to push them down but still tight enough that they don't flop about), rest the string tree on the strings in the position you saw in the pics, then push it straight down onto the headstock, taking care you don't force the strings sideways. Mark the screw hole position with a sharp object - the screw itself will do if you can get enough pressure on it with your thumb to press into the wood slightly - and drill the hole.[/quote]

Exactly what I did and it worked fine.

I just measured the distance between the top edge of the nut and the middle of the string tree on mine – 68mm. That should give you a rough guide as to how high up the headstock to mount it. Use Thunderhead's method to get the right position between the D and G strings.