Why become a member? ×

Spector NS USA XL 5 - very good price

Gamble

I can lay my hands on a very nice Spector USA 5 string for a very reasonable price (+ interest free credit if I want it) and I'm trying very hard to stop myself.
The long and the short of it is that it's not something I've been majorly lusting after, and although it's a very reasonable price (list is something daft like £2900) it's still a lot of cash for a bass I don't necessarily need, and should probably keep the money for now. I'd be scared of getting it dinged playing with one of my bands, and the other band I'm in are currently in a bit of a slow period that I'm not sure we'll recover from. I consider myself a bit of a collector, but most of my basses are dirt cheap so it's not like there's that much cash tied up in them. I'm reminding myself that the higher frets on this Spector actually stick out from the fretboard leaving a rough edge and it comes with plastic knobs (a real petty hate of mine for high-end basses), but I've still got a horrible feeling that if it's still in the shop in about a week or 2 I'll be coming home with it.

Any advice?

I had the chance to try one and it was awesome. Really organic sounding and looking. Surprised how small it looked. I wasn't really fond of the gloss neck and yes, the plastic knobs!

Personally, I'd keep a cool head and keep my money in my pocket. Christmas coming and all... It's your money though. Maybe you feel you can sell without a loss, if push comes to shove, but given the economy nowadays...

I went and played paintball (my other hobby) today so that I couldn't get down the shop, and I think it's working. Looks like I'm going to take the advice of my learned friend Peted and see if it's still there in a couple of weeks and think about it in the meantime. That's actually what I said I'd do when i left the shop so I'm going to stick to it!

Must be strong.
Must be strong.
Must be strong.