Why become a member? ×

Looking for the beginner book for jazz theory and progressions

saibuster

Hey everyone

I'm looking for a book that basically explains jazz from the begging. Ideally it would be a large book that will cover a lot of ground and have audio cd for further reference. (or names of jazz piece for reference ). An audio
example to put things in context is very important for me.

My theoretical knowledge is pretty basic, i know all the modes, i can read very slowly and feel comfortable with progressions that dont go out of the given key ( modulation? )

thanks!

Ito.

Mark Levine's ' The Jazz Theory Book' has it all. You don't need to buy anything else. And all of the examples are evidenced with references to tunes. For cds, just try your local library and ask around' everybody has a copy of Kind of Blue (except you, obviously :))!!

If I can help at all, PM me. I have mountains of this stuff.

thanks! i've just read the comments for this book on amazon and everyone gave it 5 stars! thanks for a great advice!

As for miles davis, I think that part of the reason why I cant listen to him is because i dont understand jazz, some of it just seems too random for me.

On the other hand i love stuff like Avishay Cohen ( gently disturbed is my favorite cd at the moment ), weather report, old Herbie hancok and Idris Muhammad.

Of course I'm open for everything, and i would be more than glad to study miles davis and maybe learn to like him on the way!

• 1 month later...

Ok after taking Bilbos advice, i got Mark Levine's ' The Jazz Theory Book' and i must say this book has it all.

This book is very easy to understand, very well written and covers loads of ground. I will highly recommend this
book to anyone who thinks about exploring jazz or music theory. One point that needs to be said tho, i think that in
order to get the maximum out of this book, the reader needs to have access to keyboards.

[quote name='saibuster' post='346603' date='Dec 5 2008, 04:30 PM']Ok after taking Bilbos advice, i got Mark Levine's ' The Jazz Theory Book' and i must say this book has it all.

One point that needs to be said tho, i think that in
order to get the maximum out of this book, the reader needs to have access to keyboards.[/quote]

Hi

Your keyboard comment was interesting, please could you expand on this?

A lot of examples in the book refer to jazz tunes and have a short piece of arranged piano notated to highlight the idea. It's therefore most useful if you can play/program this to hear what is being discussed - even if you have the tune in question it may not be easy to pick this passage out until you've heard it first (or at all as it is in the middle of a solo at a fast tempo). A great book and well worth having.