Why become a member? ×

Setups

Tig

Hi Guys and Gals.
Just a couple of quick q's
1: Do you have to have a differnet bridge (higher) to do Rockabilly slap. I just can't seem to get away with it. Instrument does have a nice warm tone when played finger style so I'm convinced that this D/B is set up for jazz.
2: Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pick up trans ducer set up for D/B's
Thanks in advance.
Tig

[quote name='Tig' post='308089' date='Oct 16 2008, 07:19 PM']Hi Guys and Gals.
Just a couple of quick q's
1: Do you have to have a differnet bridge (higher) to do Rockabilly slap. I just can't seem to get away with it. Instrument does have a nice warm tone when played finger style so I'm convinced that this D/B is set up for jazz.
2: Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pick up trans ducer set up for D/B's
Thanks in advance.
Tig[/quote]

yeah, you need to have the strings high enough to be able to get enough finger tip flesh around the string to be able to pop it up, or in other words, to get a grip on the string (well, at least that's the way i do it - never had any lessons in slapping). it doesn't need to be as high as some classical set-ups i've seen - but a real fast jazz action could well be too low.

i'm a bit out of touch with pick-ups - i love my underwood, but i'm interested in the realist. don't like the fishman thing that slots onto the top of the bridge, but their preamps are must-have bits of kit.

good luck with the slap, and whatever anyone says don't tape those fingers up - you'll never get the callouses,
cheers, teej