Why become a member? ×

MTD USA 635 (2007) #1620

Josh

[i][b]Features:[/b][/i]

The USA series is highest in the whole MTD arsenal, due to being made with the highest qaulity woods and usually finished with beautifully figured tops, all specifically hand crafted by the man himself (Michael Tobias), and also the custom Bartolini pick ups, handmade by the man himself.

The scale of this bass is 35', and is comprised of an Ash body with a lovely figured Walnut Byrle top, coupled with a Ash neck and Maple fingerboard and the neck and body are hand finished with an epoxy base coat and catalyzed urethane topcoat. It has 24 frets and the electronics are 4 coil passive pick-ups and electronics are custom made by Bill Bartolini. The controls are: master volume and a pan pot, treble, mid, bass cut and boost, with center click (from neck to bridge). The three position switch selects the mid range cut and boost point. Down is lower mids (250); center is middle (500) and up is upper mids (1000). When the mid pot is at center click, the switch has minimal effect. This eq has 2 batteries and is a 9 volt system. There is a trim pot inside the control cavity to adjust the gain.

This bass also has the Buzz Feiten Tuning system which comes standard with any USA model. This system will show a great improvement in tuning when playing chords and when working with a keyboard and horns. It is recommended that you use a Korg DT7, tuner which has the “Feiten Mode” built in. Tuning is normal in every way except the intonation. The tuner has the pitch offsets burned into the chip and all you need to do is follow the simple instructions in the tuner manual to achieve the proper intonation settings. I'm eyt to try this out myelf but apprently going by other reviews it works perfectly.

The truss rod is a true double acting rod and will adjust in both directions.

[i][b]Sound:[/b][/i]

The best way to describe the MTD USA tone is very Hi-Fi and modern. It simply demands attention in any mix, live and recorded. The tone really does shine through the roughest of mixes, obviously you need the appropiate Hi-Fi amp (SWR, EBS, Epifani, Eden, Aguilar etc...) to accompany the bass, I play through an EBS TD650 into a EBS Proline 2x10 and a Eden XLT 4x10, but even through lower qaulity amps the MTD tone shines through and I'm still able to hear the fundamentals of the bass.

It's tone really stands out when you dig in, the bark really does come at you and is quickly followed with a lovely warmness. I usually have the bass boosted, the mids boosted and the treble cut, but now and again I add a little for that zingy slap tone. And I'll usually have the the bass panned just a little more to the bridge pick up, being the more comfortable position for me, but just enough that the thump of the neck pick up pushes the tone still.

I've played in many different genres with this bass and all I've ever had to do is adjust the pan control a little in some situations just to edge out a little more. It is a very versatile bass, MTD USA basses are the main choice for bassists who play: RnB, Urban and Contempoary Gospel, Hip-Hop, Funk, even Rock and Metal situations. I'm yet to hear a song in which the MTD tone dosen't add to the songs overall sound.

If your looking for a Jaco esque Jazz honk or a Warwick Thumb bass growl then you may be dissapointed, but being a player that was in search of the perfect mix of the 2 previously mentioned tones I found a comfortable alternative in the 635 (and my 535 also).

[i][b]Action Fit and Finish:[/b][/i]

I have this bass tuned a full step down, to achieve a more growly tone but also to save alot of hasstle mucking around with the saddles like I have on previous basses and always gotten frustated. It also makes the strings feel a bit more looser so digging in is more achieveable and the left hand can move more easily, it also lowers the strings a little, enough for me to pull off all the stuff I always wanted to on previous basses. Thus far with this bass, the only adjustment I've had to make is to the saddle of the C string, just to make it that bit more looser, but other than that when I recieved it, it was perfect.

The finish in person is brilliant, smooth and you can clearly see the workmanship put into it.

[i][b]Reliability/Durability:[/b][/i]

The bass is very well constructed, it feels solid and the hardware is very durable. But these basses need to be treated carefully as a large ding could prove unfixable.

[i][b]Customer Support:[/b][/i]

I've had little need to contact Michael Tobias but when I did, it was regarding the details of my 535, he was very polite and very prompt with his response. I've read in many other reviews, especially those who have had one custom made, that Michael is really interested in making sure EVERY customer is happy with what he has made for them and will always try his best to resolve any problems that occur.

[i][b]Overall rating:[/b][/i]

I own both this bass and a 535 and I had bought the 535 first, and going from how impressed I was by the bass, the fact alone that the bass was so well made I adjusted to the Low B so easily than I ever had with my past 5 strings pushed me to getting a 6 string, hoping I could adjust to that and I'm happy to say that I have. I've found a bass that does exactly what I want it to do, it requires hardly any adjusting apart from the pan and master volume.

Edited by Josh

• 3 years later...