Why become a member? ×

Spraying a high gloss on a bass. ?

bubinga5

>but be ultra sure he has seen the bass in the flesh and is confident that he has the experience to to it properly.

..if the instrument mattered to me then herein lies the issue that would keep me from taking a job like this it to anyone other than a re-finisher that can show me examples of their work.

>I am confused as to why people feel a car repairer won't do a great job

Finishing guitars and finishing vehicle bodies are two entirely different things. Both require meticulous skill, for sure - but have a watch of this clip:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeWQ1taxaY&t=4m33s[/media]

The narrator appears to refer to 'automotive' finish, so yeah - the car guy will certainly know what he's doing paint wise - but for 130 notes do you really think he's going to rub down 5 clear coats...? Hmm, I'm not so sure.

>£130.00 to paint a guitar body is certainly not cheap

It's certainly not money to be sniffed at, but in terms of pro guitar re-fins you'd be lucky to get a couple of coats of creosote (especially now that it's banned).

Wal.

Edited by waldemar

I've spoken with Jon Shuker and he quoted me £300 to 350 to do the body and headstock. I don't really want a car sprayer to do it to be honest. He said he will spray with a polyester bass coat. Rub down many times, or flatenned as he said . Polished, then add a polyurethane top gloss. Then let it cure.And then polished again. It's gonna cost me double but I think I'm in good hands.