Why become a member? ×

Major humming!

JJW

So I just finished building my bass and I plugged it in and I got some major humming, it decreases dramatically after I get about 2 metres away from my amp and when I touch the volume or tone knob, however it doesnt get less when I touch the strings. Does this mean there is something wrong with the ground wire as it is definitely touching under the bridge and its also connected at the other end. Would that be the problem or could it be something else? What should I do as I dont have time to go to a shop.

First thing: check continuity between bridge/strings and the volume pot. Since touching volume pot has effect this shoud point the way. To back this up also check continuity to outer connection of output jack.

Edited by rmorris

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1464944948' post='3063933']
How would I check that? It all looks fine but im not 100% sure
[/quote]

Basically get hold of a multimeter with a continuity function that 'beeps' when you have continuity.
It will beep when you have a low resistance between two points. You can then use the resistance function to see how low it is - should be much the same as when you touch the probes together - ideally showing zero but will often show a fraction of an ohm due to meter calibration / probes.
If you don't have access to a meter you can pick one up for not much money.