Why become a member? ×

Bugera BVV3000 Infinium... a tale of woe with a happy ending!

Bass-Thing

I thought I'd post this because anyone who owns either one of these amps or indeed the Ampeg SVT CL (which the Bugera is copied from), might find it useful.

I bought the amp last summer online from Woodbrass in Paris. Up until now I have mainly been using it at home for practice and rehearsal. Great amp. Love it to bits etc... Anyway while practicing one day I am suddenly called away for a bit of a domestic emergency. I am usually fastidious about such things but this time I just plonked my plugged in bass onto it's stand and left the house with the 300w valve amp still on and not on standby. When I returned a couple of hours later the amp was still on and you could hear the fan blowing, but it no longer worked and the red fault light was lit. I was abject... clearly all the bad things I'd read on hear about Bugera and Behringer must be true after all I thought!!! :sad: :facepalm: (only kidding)

Before engaging with the legendary Bugera Customer Services, I had a look online to see if this was something that might be an easy fix. Fair bit on Basstalk (am I allowed to mention them on here? ;) ) but mostly suggesting valve problems/failure etc and of course lots of 'told you sos' from the Behringer haters. These amps have a 3 year warranty so rather than risk voiding it using a local amp tech, I popped it in the post to Music Group in Kidderminster (like you do with a 35kg amp!). They were brilliant. You have to pay to post it to them but they organise the courier for you very cheaply. The courier had been clumsy with it and there was bit of cosmetic damage when they unpacked it, but they fixed this free of charge even though the warranty didn't cover this. It was back with me fully working in less than a week. It sounds better than ever.

They told me that the date on the amp indicated it had been on the shelf at Woodbrass for at least 3 years. The fault was 2 fuses inside the amp that had blown and needed changing (fuses 1 & 2). The valves all tested as fine. They advised me in future to leave it on standby for about 5 minutes before using it and this should give everything the chance to warm up properly. They also advised me to put it on standby when not using for long stretches.

Anyway hopefully I won't have any more problems and I'm looking forward to using it for a couple of festivals I'm playing later this summer. :D

You should have it on standby for probably at least 20 minutes before you fire it up, and also when you switch it off, leave for 20 minutes (if possible) to cool down before you move it. In other words, make it the first thing you do when you arrive at gigs or rehersals!

• Like 1

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1460220000' post='3023808']
You should have it on standby for probably at least 20 minutes before you fire it up, and also when you switch it off, leave for 20 minutes (if possible) to cool down before you move it. In other words, make it the first thing you do when you arrive at gigs or rehersals!
[/quote]
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.