Why become a member? ×

Advice on Vintage Icon V74 versus Ibanez AFB200

ryanblumenow

Hi all!

I wanted to solicit some advice - I am considering buying a new bass. There are 2 going in my city that I am trying to decide between, and given my wife being understanding for this, buying both probably won't be an option ;)

They are both fretless as I am wanting to venture in this direction.

Up for grabs are a Vintage Icon V74, Jaco-style, road-worn finish, for a (I think) pretty cheap price of $120.

The other is an Ibanez AFB200, for a relatively more expensive price of $310 as compared to the other.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these and can give me some thoughts? I would really appreciate it - especially if there is the chance of hearing ideas quite quickly as I would probably need to decide relatively quickly in order not to lose out.

Thanks very much in advance!

Ryan

I play vintage basses and although can't advise on the fretless you refer to do I do have the Tony butler precision bass and the jazz reissued series.
They are fantastic basses for the money with great Wilkinson pickups. I would say they are easily on a par with squiers.
Heard lots of good reports on the fretless too.

I had 2 brand new Vintage Icon Jaco basses a couple of years ago and had to return both due to quality control issues (one was a warranty replacement of the first).

First arrived with a stripped truss rod socket from the factory, so the neck was not adjustable. Thankfully I tried to adjust it the day I got it even though it was almost spot on otherwise I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late.

Second arrived missing the string tree, there wasn't even a hole drilled for it. Basic stuff.

It's a shame because the first one was a very nice instrument, it looked the part and played nicely, but with those QC issues I didn't attempt a 3rd.

I've not tried that specific Ibanez bass but every Ibanez I've played has been great quality so that might be a good call. It won't sound anything like the Jazz though. Completely different instruments.

Hugh

• 1 month later...

I have Jaco style fretless vintage jazz which plays and sounds great.
For the money,I think youd have a hard time finding something that plays and sounds so good.
although I have changed the pickups out, and re- shaped the headstock
( personal preference,as I find the headstock a little clumsy looking)
In fact I'm looking for the fretted version of the vintage jazz model.
All in all, with a few very minor tweaks you'd have a totally gig able bass.