Why become a member? ×

Tuning a bass...

Lfalex v1.1

I used to tune ADADG which always caused confusion for anyone borrowing my bass for a quick play :)

I also used to play about with open tunings on my acoustic guitar quite a lot, so once my Shuker arrives I am considering leaving my Warwick in an open tuning for some chordal shennanigans!

Tuning in fifths will mean you have to relearn all your favourite riffs. That's not necessarily a bad thing unless you do a lot of playing in covers bands (or established originals groups where you are essentially covering your own material). Most riffs that span 3-4 frets when tuned in 4ths will require shifting up or down.

On the other hand, if you have a spare instrument that is feeling a bit neglected, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

At the moment, I'm persevering with tuning a minor third higher than normal on my six string. My rationale was that I rarely went below low D and played a lot of chords / melodies where slightly lighter strings and higher pitch would be a benefit. So far, it is working okay but even there I have to think harder to make sure that I start songs in the right place and to adapt riffs that previously relied on open strings.

Wulf