Why become a member? ×

Fretless Conversion - Please Advise

DavidMcKay

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi All[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I am going for a fretless conversion on a Yamaha 34" scale, i.e. completely replacing current fingerboard with a beautiful piece of unlined ebony, having markers at the top, that sort of thing.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I was quoted £300 by Jimmy Egypt in Glasgow. I rate these guys,and am confident that they'd do a sterling job, but I want to test the marketplace and be sure I'm not paying over the odds.[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What can/should I expect to pay for a first rate job, and are there any other Luthiers in Scotland you would recommend for the work?[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers,[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]David[/font]

Drop Chris Mcintyre an email. He's a star. I've used chris for decades - in fact, I used to fly to London to get my instruments worked on when he was based there.

He now has a workshop beside the Easter Road football stadium in Edinburgh.

http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/mcintyre-guitars-clients.html

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1454444330' post='2969853']
Not to want to be a spolier of a good idea, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a neck?

The down-side of this, of course is having to put up with a Fender-look-alike headstock - That alone would put me off too.

Have a bump.
[/quote]

Hi Grangur

Thanks for the bump. I love the neck on the Yamaha and would wish to keep it - for the same reasons mate!

David

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1454445542' post='2969878']
Drop Chris Mcintyre an email. He's a star. I've used chris for decades - in fact, I used to fly to London to get my instruments worked on when he was based there.

He now has a workshop beside the Easter Road football stadium in Edinburgh.

[url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/mcintyre-guitars-clients.html"]http://www.mcintyreg...rs-clients.html[/url]
[/quote]

Kevin

Thanks for the steer. I've emailed [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chris Mcintyre and will take if from there.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll let you know how I get on.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]David[/font][/color]