Why become a member? ×

Recomend m e a compressor thread #164735

Pow_22

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]In my quest to nail a certain tone (Look Out Sunshine – The Fratellis) and with excellent help from JTUK of this parish im almost there. Last nights rehearsal was the closest ive got by simply making my signal much hotter (had my Boost pedal on all the time), BDI at full output and volume on my bass at max and turning the amp down to compensate – effectively hitting the amps valve front end with a BIG signal. I was getting a nice valvey type grittiness to the sound and a big fat tone[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I think the final part in the quest will be a compressor – but im brand new to pedals and am a proper technophobe. Up until a few months ago I was against pedals and went straight into a valve amp and cab.[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]What im currently running[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[b][u][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]P Bass (flats) > TU2 > Behringer BDI (always on, SVT type setting) > Chorus > Ibanez PD7 OD > Linear Booster[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]This goes into an SVTIII (No pro so no gain control) > Ampeg SVT 410he[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As a note I switched the 3 x 12ax7’s in my amps pre for some Chinese high gain valves that are nice and gritty)[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Im looking to drop a compressor in but have a few (maybe misguided) specifics:-[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][list]
[*]
Listening to the track im trying to emulate it sounds like only the low notes ae compressed so something that does this ideally. The low notes thump, then seem almost immediately restrained initially then bloom out into a valvey tone/sustain – I guess his tone is coming from natural all valve amp sag/compression rather than an effect.
[*][color=#000000]
Ive seen some compressors also boot signal – this would be ideal as it would be a drop in replacement for my current booster rather than adding another pedal to my board. Failing that, if it is an additional pedal I end up with, where abouts would I place it in the chain[/color]
[*][color=#000000]
Simple to use – its got to be easy to use and would probably be a ‘on all the time’ type effect[/color]
[*][color=#000000]
Cheap ideally. Im playing in boozers and the crowd probably wouldn’t recognise all the tone im getting – its purely for my personal tone obsession with this particular track/sound[/color]
[/list]

Budda chakra, usually find them around £50. love mine, purchased it because of the positive review on Onvilab

https://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/budda-chakra-compressor-pedal.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAmeyxBRCJxoKk7IWLl2oSJABvZjhhXAnUB1TOVWs5upVi-cWTy__2UfU6egl0QaxzCWg7AhoC0vvw_wcB

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/chakra.shtml

Edited by Andytre