Why become a member? ×

5 string start

Alex Tootstick

As a young boy in high school watching a lot of new metal bassists throwing big 5-6 string bass guitars around. I instantly felt the need to dismiss anything less than a five string(oh the perils of youth) as a sub par instrument that was capable of less.
So what I did was carry around a five string.. Rave about five strings... Slag off four strings... (I was young and bear with me this thread has a point). Yet all along my B string intimidated the life out of me. I had no idea how to integrate it and it became something I used as a thumb rest for my early playing experiences. I played a five string bass but only played four strings.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?

Might be specific to me. I haven't played my old five (de armond pilot v) in many years

i can play fives confidently now but I'll always remember standing on stage wondering if anyone could tell I was only playing four of my five strings.

I've had dalliances with three five string basses on separate occasions and, to be honest, I only really used to go down to the low D on the third fret. Beyond that the notes were fairly inaudible and consequently redundant.

Don't get me wrong, they were great guitars (Streamer, Bongo and DJ5) and I only persisted for the sake of the music, but am now firmly back in the four string camp including one tuned BEAD. Win.