Why become a member? ×

Hohner P Bass - Slight Mods

kevbass

Right, so, here we are, my most recent ebay goody that arrived about a week ago. Since its arrival Ive changed the screws in the strap buttons for fatter deeper screws ( if you look in the repairs and technical section you'll know why I did this) and then I put on some of those plastic disc strap locks that cost me about 2.95 each from my local music shop (yes I probbably over paid for them). Then I got some white pup covers off the bay and replaced the black ones which had a crack in them, and to my annoyance somebody at some point glued these pup covers on, yes glued, every sodding inch of them, it took me about 40 minutes of chisseling away at the plastic with a screwdriver to get them off but eventually did and then I had to reglue on pickup back on to the magnet as it was starting to come away. I then added a thumbrest. I took the scratchplate off to re solder the electrics and give it all a tighten and a clean, theres plenty of space underneath that scratchplate for an active preamp should I decide to get one installed, but I probbably wont. Because of the large cavity underneath the plate the bass has a big bright hollow sound to it. I'm not sure if the pups on it are stock or not but they sound good and loud with plenty of crunch if I want it dialled in so they're staying put. The bridge is heavy duty and reminds me of a schaller crossed with a badass, again Im not sure if its original personally I dont think it is. Paintwork is original and is in good clean condition bar the odd bump here and there. The neck is nicely played in and you can see the skunk stripe wearing away on the back.
I threw on a new set of light gauge ernie ball slinkys and set the action nice and low, theres no fret buzz and plays like a dream. The neck inlays seem to be abalone or peraloid or something, they look quite smart and the neck plate is embossed. So all in all im pleased with it and its a keeper (for now anyways). The only thing I may upgrade next is the tuners, I was thinking about a black set of gotoh's.
Here are the pics

Edited by kevbass

Very nice.

I haven't seen one of these in years and then two come along...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22977&hl=hohner"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...7&hl=hohner[/url]

If that was mine it would have black pick up covers and a tort plate but very nice nonetheless.

P.