Why become a member? ×

EQ Drive Pedal question....

El_JimBob

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='271722' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:56 PM']Hi - i'm quite interested in the new EQ Drive, but i'd like a little more info on the EQ section's frequency bands if possible....

Cheers.

Jim

*apologies if this has been asked already*[/quote]

Hi,

I use a 3-band active Baxandall design and adjust the mid frequency bands Q point. The bass frequency mid point is around 30Hz, Mid 1kHz and treble 10kHz. But there is a +- 200-300Hz on the mid with the Q control which is hard to calculate as the Baxandall equations really only work with a 2 band design.

There is a cut and boost of 20dB at each band

Dave

Care to explain a Baxandall eq design?
I feel like such a tool :huh:

cheers for the reply....

*edit* ok, i've had a bit of a read up so lets see if i can grasp this - would i be right in saying that the frequency bands in this type of eq interact with each other differently dependant on how much they are cut or boosted ie: make the mid-points appear to move/shift? and can i presume that 'noon' on each band would constitute a 'flat' eq?

or am i talking out of my hole?
:)

Edited by El_JimBob

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='275058' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:03 PM']Care to explain a Baxandall eq design?
I feel like such a tool :huh:

cheers for the reply....

*edit* ok, i've had a bit of a read up so lets see if i can grasp this - would i be right in saying that the frequency bands in this type of eq interact with each other differently dependant on how much they are cut or boosted ie: make the mid-points appear to move/shift? and can i presume that 'noon' on each band would constitute a 'flat' eq?

or am i talking out of my hole?
:)[/quote]

Yes, there is a small interaction between the mid and bass, treble. But there is no interaction between bass and treble that's why the equations don't work for a 3 band Baxandall design. A quick Google on Baxandall might help but it's the most used design for active EQ.

When the treble, mid and bass pots are at noon there is a totally flat frequency response. This is why the Baxandall design is so good as other designs just take frequencies away and there is no flat response.

Dave