Why become a member? ×

FS: Frank Hovland Custom 5-string fretless bass
£750

MrWalker

This beautiful 5-string fretless bass was built by Norwegian session bass player Frank Hovland in Bergen in 1996.

The bass has a 3-layer maple neck-through neck with ebony fingerboard. The body wings are walnut.

Tuners and bridge are Schaller, it's a roller bridge with adjustments in all three dimensions. It's got a 34" scale length and is tuned E-C currently (needs to have the nut altered a little to be tuned B - G). Since the photo was taken, the knobs have been replaced with chrome knurled knobs (as the old EMG knobs had a tendency to get stuck to each other when rotating them). The preamp has Bass/treble boost/cut on one stacked knob, and mid frequency/mid boost/cut on the other stacked. Since there's only a single mic, it's just a master volume. The Mic is an EMG 40DC I believe.

This bass sounds fantastic and plays like a dream. Frank built it for me in 1996, and I had him deepen the lower cutaway and make the fingerboard a little longer, so there are a couple bonus notes up above the 2nd octave, too. The only reason I'm selling this is that I'm only playing 4 and 6 string basses these days, and I need to finance my new 6-string main bass.

Link to ad on Norwegian classified ad site below, w/photos:
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=57389384

Shipping is additional, and the bass is located in Norway.

Edited by MrWalker