Why become a member? ×

Sight Reading - Accidental Over Bar line Question

dustandbarley

I'd want (and put, if I was arranging) a # on either the first tied quaver or the first red circle.
They may be a "correct" way of writing things but when you're writing for musicians who will be either sight reading in a quick band call or even on the gig, you need to remove all question of doubt immediately.

[quote name='dustandbarley' timestamp='1429687301' post='2753850']
Thanks again people, I didn't anticipate this would be so confusing...
[/quote]

It's confusing because they've adopted a rule outside of usual practice.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1429692446' post='2753906']
I'd want (and put, if I was arranging) a # on either the first tied quaver or the first red circle.
They may be a "correct" way of writing things but when you're writing for musicians who will be either sight reading in a quick band call or even on the gig, you need to remove all question of doubt immediately.
[/quote]

I think the 'correct' way is as you describe!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Higgie on this. Technically the tied note in the 2nd bar is F and would need a sharp sign. Otherwise how would the reader know whether it was tied F sharp or a slur from F sharp to F natural? If we assume for a moment hat it is a tie and should be read as such the first note circled in red is F natural and should have a sharp sign. In my reading days it was good practice to put "courtesy" accidental a in to remove any ambiguity, as other have said. I normally saw these in parentheses as this was a reminder. The yellow-circled note appears to be cancelling a sharp that, in that bar, doesn't exist. I suspect the passage requires F sharp from the first bar on that line tied over and then through the second bar, ending with the yellow circled f natural in bar 3. That's not how it reads to me, though!