Why become a member? ×

whos tried a ibanez btb 1605?

jassbass

Hi Jay,
Haven't tried the premium BTB, but I did briefly have an SR 1205, and that has the same electronics package. I moved it on in under 3months though as I wasn't happy with the sound, and single coil hum isn't my thing. A big plus was the fit and finish and general playability though, and this has been the case in all the Ibanez basses I've owned. Also there are many many players out there who are happy with the sound from their premiums, so don't discount the bass on my experience.
Ps, the SR basses are more readily available it would seem so maybe have a try on one or two to see if you like the pre and pups arrangement.

Cheers Pete :)

I'm currently GASIng for one of those beauties. I don't normally like basses without paint on them but these are nice. I haven't played one yet but I researched the Nordstrand Big Singles. The general concensus was that they are quite a neutral full range pickup. A bit like a jazz but a slightly fatter sound. This is exactly what I am after. I will definitely play before I pay though. Now, just need to sell one of my Bongos to fund one.

I've only had 4-stringers, but the BTBs I've played just got better and better as I went up the range. Currently have a Japanese made 600 with bolt on neck and ash body, brilliant. I did have some EMG jazz pups thrown in there for a while, which made it yet better.
I'd imagine a 1600 with Nordstrand pups to be a thing of great splendour!

I have a SR1605E, which is similar in specs aside from being bolt-on vs. neck thru and the scale length.

It's an incredible bass. I have basses that cost way more (Roscoe and Modulus) and while I cannot say it equals them in quality it comes very close. Low action, great fretwork, versatile electronics, very easy to play.

I was expecting more of a Jazz-on-steroids tone from it too but after receiving it I wouldn't say that's an accurate description. I suppose it sounds somewhat Jazz-like but its way more modern sounding and has more of a woody growl to it. I think a lot of that is due to the wenge/bubinga neck. Sounds somewhat similar to some MTDs or old USA Tobias basses I've heard. Very "boutique" sounding. At times I even hear a bit of German Warwick in there too.

The pickups are great. "Neutral and full-range" is probably right on the mark. Just be aware that since these are single coils they are prone to a bit of hum when panned toward one pickup or the other. Could be an issue for some.

Thanks to the electronics (especially the mid control with switchable frequencies), it's extremely versatile and can handle just about any style. It can be very aggressive or fat and mellow. Great slap tone too.