Why become a member? ×

NAD,(well combo actually), AER amp two

tbonepete

So, as above I bought an AER amp two today, and for me it lives up to the review and comments on the tube, and various forums. I was after one of these recently in a trade for a bass of mine, but none were forthcoming. A chance visit today to the local PMT saw me hatching a deal with the guys at the shop, and this afternoon I took it home.
OMG, how do AER get so much noise from such a small box? Must be some sort of voodoo I reckon, lol.
Quickly a couple of points to make are that inspite of its diminutive dimensions it's a weighty little thing, and secondly, there is an amount of hiss from the smaller mid/ upper driver, and this has been observed by others from the "other" forum, but for me it's well within the acceptable range!
Other than this, it's all good, a massive amount of gain, and tone shaping is available, the compressor seems well balanced, and a bewildering array of sockets and switches for connectivity are all present, and it came with a nice padded slip cover. I shall look forward to using it at a gig soon, but don't anticipate that my other combo (markbass cmd102p) will be going anywhere. It's just a different kind of good sound, so I have a choice now!
Happy amp day for me! Yay :)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1425077243' post='2703822']
These are really great sounding combos. And very loud, while still retaining the core tone.

I love mine. The only drawback is the weight. A folding trolley has helped.

Frank.
[/quote]
Been having a play with this today and I'm absolutely gob smacked, it's amazing how such a full sound comes from this small box. The sound stays full at quiet volumes too, and that's very welcome.
Have you adjusted the hf level on the rear of the amp?, and if so, what level do you have it at?. Mine was an ex demo model, so I didn't get a manual, and can't seem to find one online
Cracking piece of gear though, and I'm really looking forward to giving it a blast at gig settings next month. :)

Cheers Pete

Haha. The secret hf knob had me puzzled for a day or two until I found it. I turn it off at the moment, but I have gigged with it in the centre position.

The tone and volume from these is amazing. I was told that I was too loud, for the first time ever. This was at a pub gig and the amp two was only ticking over. :)

I found that it takes a little time to understand these amps. I didn't find mine to be a "plug and play" amp. (I hate that phrase anyway). At first I was using too much bass. It isn't really required at gig level. I've found that the amp two sounds very solid without boosting the bass. It sounds great with the bass boost on at home volume levels though.

I have a manual. PM me your email address and I'll send you it. You might have to wait until Monday. I think it's on my laptop in work.

Frank.

A week in, and I'm finding the Amp Two to be a fantastic bit of kit! Super clean, effortless volume, and not a hint of brittleness in the sound. Classy sounding compressor is the icing on the cake for me.
Attached pic shows the combo at home, but can't wait to try it out in anger next week ! yay :)
I don't have a beer crate to place under the amp, so my other combo will have to do, although I hope to find something cheaper and lighter to do the raising duties soon !!! hehe.
The only downside is the weight, but this slight drawback pales into insignificance when the amp is switched on and does its thing.
Very pleased at this end, and many thanks to machinehead for sending me the manual.

Cheers Pete