Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘The Train’, from The Badderer

Dad3353

[size=4]Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your favourite. All of them can be heard here...[/size]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256313-february-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC February Composition Challenge voting...[/url]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/b-rye-and-the-child/the-train"]‘The Train’, from The Badderer ...[/url][/size]

A distant low throb, shrieking (is that feedback or steel..?), a slow, thudding beat, then a more than dirty bass riff serve as backdrop to a plaintiff, mournful vocal line. A second riff thickens the plot, then a third. The vocals take on an intimate, whispering, menacing tone whilst the bass pulses over the relentless march of the drums. A climax is reached, and resolved, allowing the original riff to return, enhanced by another lead line. The singing retains its sobre tone; the lyrics are oppressive and definitive; the rhythm dissolves into a venting of steam and fades away. The nightmare doubtless continues, but is now out of sight, around the bend.
A very dark mood here; there is no escape from the relentless onward force of this despondent train, taking its unfortunate passengers to places that do not bear to be thought of. Lovingly laboured lyrics leave little leeway, abandon all hope, those unlucky enough to have a season ticket for this ride. We sense that there will be no return journey, and that the voyage will be long. Better, perhaps to be voyaging than to arrive at who knows what destination, maybe..? That's the only glimmer of hope left, it would seem. Much in keeping with the photo, suitable programming and sonic choice, with a saturated bass bringing a more than 'heavy metal' touch to the piece. Not likely to become a Disco hit, but a thoughtful work, well written and played. Dark, though; very dark.

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256358-play-of-the-day-trains-from-mornats/"]Play of the Day : ‘Trains’, from Mornats...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/loaded"]‘Loaded’, from lurksalot...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas[/size] Edited by Dad3353

Dad (Douglas or can we say Doug?) you got this composition from where I was coming from totally spot on. Thanks for taking the time to review it for people. Was quite nervous sharing my 1st ever song I've written especially as it was written for the Ableton course that I'm on with limited time. The photo provided great inspiration for the track.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1424707804' post='2699409']
Dad (Douglas or can we say Doug?) you got this composition from where I was coming from totally spot on...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I've been called much worse. :rolleyes:

An anecdote..? Yes..? All right then...
I was aged about 7 or 8; a couple of school chums knocked on our front door, it was opened by my Mum. "Can Dougie come out to play, please..?", they piped up. My Mum's face darkened... "His name is 'Douglas'...", she haughtily announced, and closed the door.
It took me quite a while to live that one down. :blush: