Why become a member? ×

Roland Microcube vs Yamaha THR5?

Heket

Bit of a niche question, but does anyone own both these amps? I have the THR5, a tiny little desktop amp that nevertheless performs reasonably well. I also have a Fender Rumble 40w, but it doesn't perform well at low volumes so I was looking at a smaller amp to play at home/night and was considering the Microcube. I don't want to end up buying something that performs similarly to the THR though, speaker-wise. Does the Microcube have any appreciable thud? Otherwise the two amps are pretty similar, with both having models, effects and recording opportunities.

No, actually that's a brilliant answer. I love the THR so I don't need a Microcube, I just wanted an amp I could play at low levels that behaved properly and had a bit of thump. That could also mean a larger amp that just reacts better when turned down. It's a crying shame that the one thing the THR lacks is the ability to be attached to a cabinet.

To clarify, the Rumble is a problem because when the speaker isn't being driven it has huge trouble detecting differences in tone. I nearly sent my P-bass back for having a faulty tone knob because there was no difference in tone between on and off (according to my ears and my partners) but later testing with the THR showed it to be the amp to be the problem. At higher volumes it's fine, but that's higher than I would want for playing in a semi with a kid's bedroom on the other side of the wall.

To be fair, it took me a while to find a guitar amp that matched a similar criteria, and ended up getting one which has a 1W input and 15W input, with the 15W behaving perfectly fine at low volumes too.

I am actually pretty impressed with the THRs, and at events I have been to other people have ended up getting them as they are so versatile for such little amps.
At low volumes I am surprised that my TC BG250-12 is actually useable at 'not pissing people off' volumes, although the volume control in output doesn't seem to work below 2 in any meaningful way.