Why become a member? ×

Choosing between two bands.

Allons-y!

[quote name='Allons-y!' timestamp='1423446336' post='2684930']
They will both be gigging and I've actually been playing with these friends of mine on a stage for years. Not In a basement. The band leader is also deep in the music scene. They will be playing less purposefully.[/quote]

There must be a way for you to make this distinction between both bands to make a decision which band to go with.

Sounds like your closer to the P & W side with guys your own age. For me since I'm in this for the money it would have to be the band that makes the most $$$, because it also sounds like the guys in both bands are good people.

I don't think you can lose either way.

Good Luck

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423448503' post='2684934']

[i]"We have been playing every weekend and I think my wife gets annoyed with that a little bit."[/i]

[i]?[/i]

[i]Blue[/i]
[/quote]
To be fair it doesn't take much to get on a woman's nerves. ;) I didn't mean to imply that she has a big problem with it. I can just tell it would make her happier if I was home at least one weekend a month. i will never have the chance to play in the big league. I gave that up when I said I do. I wouldn't change it for the world though.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423449362' post='2684936']

There must be a way for you to make this distinction between both bands to make a decision which band to go with.

Sounds like your closer to the P & W side with guys your own age. For me since I'm in this for the money it would have to be the band that makes the most $$$, because it also sounds like the guys in both bands are good people.

I don't think you can lose either way.

Good Luck

Blue
[/quote]
I like money but I'm not in love with it. I'm thinking I will probably go with the p&w/rock band. After reading all the posts it seemed like all I would miss out on is money. I don't think there is much else I can learn from the oldies. i could be wrong about that, but either way I think I will gain things from either and miss out on either. Thanks for all the advice, Blue.

[quote name='Allons-y!' timestamp='1423452507' post='2684944']
I like money but I'm not in love with it. [/quote]

That's a cultural thing and one reason ( there are others ) why I like the British. Over here were taught from day 1 that money is all that matters.

Over here, the only people I know that say they're not in love with money, have money coming out of their ears. :D

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423456624' post='2684947']

That's a cultural thing and one reason ( there are others ) why I like the British. Over here were taught from day 1 that money is all that matters.

Over here, the only people I know that say they're not in love with money, have money coming out of their ears. :D

Blue
[/quote]

I live in South Carolina and I know what you mean about being taught that money is all that matters. My parents are still trying to make me see reason. I quit my job when my son was born so I could keep him during the day. I get the weirdest looks from everyone when I tell them what I do( especially people over 70 ). The bills are payed and no one is hungry So I wouldn't trade hanging out with my son for more comfort. The first month was hard and I wanted to get a job, but thankfully my wife talked me out of it.

I love the British. I also get weird looks for the way I drink my tea and the odd voices on my television.

I guess you could say I'm never in it for the money.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423456624' post='2684947']

Blue
[/quote]

Eh?
Not sure if that's a typo Blue :)

[quote name='Allons-y!' timestamp='1423588445' post='2686723']
In case anyone cares, I quit the current band. I don't no why I got so hung up on it, but everyone was super helpful. Time will tell if I made the right choice.
[/quote]

You can't lose.

Music and bands is not the primary focus of your life. For you I don;t think there was a right or wrong choice.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423610589' post='2687135']

You can't lose.

Music and bands is not the primary focus of your life. For you I don;t think there was a right or wrong choice.

Blue
[/quote]
Yeah you're right. I think it would have been the wrong choice for someone more serious with playing live. But for me it wasn't has big a deal as I thought it was.

[quote name='Allons-y!' timestamp='1423616051' post='2687183']

Yeah you're right. I think it would have been the wrong choice for someone more serious with playing live. But for me it wasn't has big a deal as I thought it was.
[/quote]

Just read this from the start and I'd say you've made a good choice. You can always find another band, but special women are hard to come by, and I cannot imagine there are too many kids who wish their dad had spent less time with them and more time gigging.

I remember reading a piece about Metallica's Black Album tour - where they kept adding dates and it finally lasted about 18 months. The article included a list of everything that had been used in the tour - effectively the costs. The final line was '3 marriages'. That's a lesson right there IMHO.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423633988' post='2687197']

Just read this from the start and I'd say you've made a good choice. You can always find another band, but special women are hard to come by, and I cannot imagine there are too many kids who wish their dad had spent less time with them and more time gigging.

I remember reading a piece about Metallica's Black Album tour - where they kept adding dates and it finally lasted about 18 months. The article included a list of everything that had been used in the tour - effectively the costs. The final line was '3 marriages'. That's a lesson right there IMHO.
[/quote]
Yeah it's not like there's a low demand for bass players. Thanks, Admiral.