Why become a member? ×

Band Practice cancelled again...............

lateralus462

[quote name='lateralus462' post='260413' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:28 PM']I decided to leave - we were meant to have a practice tonight even though the singer's ill (apparently), but the drummer didn't turn up. No message or anything. So that's it, I've quit and am going to start looking for something else.[/quote]

Good decision. From my experience, it's better to work with a beginner who is ultra dedicated to someone talented who can't be arsed.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='260945' date='Aug 12 2008, 04:04 PM']Seriously, don't compromise. If there are commitment issues now from one member, the same issues will still be there in six months. Move on.[/quote]

I know this would probably the sensible thing to do, but I do want to hear what they have to say - I've not agreed to go back or anything, I've only agreed to let them buy me a beer (aren't I generous!!)

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='260393' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:08 PM']Had the same problem myself in the past. We had a "band meeting" (few beers) and exited those who were unreliable and replaced them. Whilst the new guitarist is not as good, he turns up every week, is enthusiatic and learns the songs before rehearsal. So maybe we don't sound as good as we used to, but at least we are now gigging regularly again![/quote]

My money is on people who turn up and learn their parts every day over raw skill (particularly as I fall into that group myself!!). The first lot will practice and get better. The second lot will still be a pain in the arse. If people aren't interested and won't put the work in I doubt they'll change. Walk away or sack them as appropriate.

Edited by thepurpleblob