Why become a member? ×

Replacement Scratchplate for Blue Flower '54 P Bass

surfguy13

Hi guys

I have just picked up a lovely blue flower '54 P bass from @Muppet today and am absolutely delighted with both the feel and the sound. Totally different to anything I've ever played and all the better for it.

However.....I am used to a tug bar above the E, a la 70s P basses, and I am feeling somewhat lost without having anywhere to plant my thumb! I was told not to rest my thumb on the pickup as there is potential to damage the coil........is that right?

So, I could drill two holes in the scratchplate and install a standard P bass tugbar above the E. However, I guess it might be wise not to drill holes in the body and scratchplate if I don't [i]have [/i]to so it occurred to me that I could possibly install a replacement scratchplate and superglue a tug bar onto it so's to avoid drilling holes. Does that sound like a plan that might work?

If so, I have the original scratchplate to use as a template so would it be possible to make a scratchplate out of plastic or perspex? I'm not sure how I'd cut it and I also have no idea how I'd smooth the cut edges. Would it be better to just buy a ready made replacement scratchplate?

If I go ahead and buy a replacement, is the scratchplate on the '51 P bass the same as the s/plate on the blue flower '54? Is there anywhere in the UK where I can buy ready made scratchplates or get a custom made s/plate?

Any advice would be warmly appreciated! :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1420312709' post='2648007']
Try something like this, theres lotsof different styles available;

[url="http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221554637961"]http://pages.ebay.co...id=221554637961[/url]
[/quote]

Great idea, I had no idea these things were available, but sadly it's not going to fit the '54 scratchplate. The edge of the plate above the E is MUCH deeper than on a standard P bass guard. It could be fitted but it would be too far from the E.