Why become a member? ×

Reverse Kluson replacing 70's Fender tuning keys?

Dood

Hey all!

Happy New Year to ya!

So you may have spotted I have pangs to recreate a P bass I used to own many years ago - and whilst the budget is tight I am exploring ways to get exactly what I am after. This may be finding a stock Fender Precision or a Pbass to customise on a budget.

I'll no doubt be searching BC for answers to my questions but the first is this:

I really like those reverse Kluson tuners from 60's P basses. Are the mounting plates on them such that they will drop straight on to a bass that may have the more familiar 70's keys? (Not the smaller MIM or deluxe keys)

That sounds promising - I'm not too fussed about the drill holes for the screws, more whether or not the plates fit side by side. Did the 60's keys hide the previous holes?

Thanks so much so far!

The bass mine are fitted to is a pb62, acquired in a trade, and tbh the mod isn't very well done. Here's a link/address for Hipshot HB1,2'S, AND 3'S dimensions

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/hbtuners.pdf

The tuner plate on the pb62 (HB3 reverse type) are slightly larger/longer that the 70's (HB2) but fit closer together, as in, the gap between them is less when compared it to my geddy which has 70's type tuners on.

The hole centres also appears to be the same at approx 1 7/8th. so you shouldn't have a problem as long as the holes are the right size for the ferrels,