Why become a member? ×

Hello to those who dig the low frequencies!

The Claw(tm)

Hi all,

Just popping in to introduce myself. My name's Andy, I lurk around the North West of the UK in Lancashire, and i'm a beginning player who wants to get into a band eventually, but for now I confine myself to my front room.

I used to have guitar lessons a while ago when I was 15, always wanted to play bass but was a metalhead at the time and the guitar was where the glory was at, or so I thought. Foolish urchin! Plus my dad who was forking out for the instrument in the first place said "if you're going to play an instrument, you're going to get a proper one" - ah what does he know about music, he listens to Jazz :) (don't hurt me, Jazz fans, I kid!)

Passing my driving test and spinning round the place with my mates seemed more important than scales at the time (wasn't going as quickly as I wanted on guitar either), then uni and jobs got in the way for a while and in short, I did pretty much bugger all musical for a space of about 15 years.

So come January this year I wanted to get back into music, so i'm now the proud owner of a Yamaha RBX170 and an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (12 inch speaker - no wool here!). Pleased to say i'm getting into playing more and more, and it seems my original instincts were right - i'm much more of a basshead than anything else, and even though i'm not getting lessons yet I seem to be progressing much better, more importantly, it's a pleasure to play rather than a chore. I guess some of those guitar lessons must have sunk in after all. I've been thinking about getting some bass lessons too at some point, I could do with a bit of direction.

Just think, if it weren't for my dad, I could have become a bass superstar and overdosed on smack in a Las Vegas hotel room surrounded by hookers by now. Cheers dad! :huh:

Er, so anyway, hello everyone!

-- The Claw(tm)