Why become a member? ×

* 4 string Bartolini MMC SWAPPED *

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='253769' date='Aug 3 2008, 04:25 PM']Hi Dave - what's it sound like?[/quote]

Very similar to stingray but with a smoother less aggressive top end. I love the sound of it but i want the exposed pole pieces.

Thanks
Dave

Couple of reviews of the pickup off harmony central, there are a few that slate it as well, but these do describe the sound accurately

Overall Rating : 9
Comments: This pickup is very smooth and warm. I assume every will run it through a preamp because most musicmans are active. in that case this pickup is perfect. it can be fat dull and bassy. super midsy with insane bell like harmonics and bright ass trebly with lots of snap. I prefer just a little bass and mids with the treble set flat. if playing through a cab with a horn I might even turn the treble down for slapping. very clean sounding pickup. I'm sure if you know what MM's sound like you'll be very happy with this pickup. By the way it insanly quiet.

Overall Rating : 10
Comments: I would buy this pickup again. I satisfies the classic Sting Ray sound that I was not getting from the stock pickup. I've seen playing the bass for 22 years. I own a '69 Fender Precision and an '80 G&L L1000. I'm satisfied with the sound of these other basses, but the Sting Ray is my main bass. I love the feel and playability of the Sting Ray and now I love the sound. I never experienced the tonal varieties of the preamp with the stock pickup. I believe I had a bad stock pickup because I've heard great tones from stock Sting Rays. Everytime I would play on the G string with the stock pickup, it sounded like someone turned my amp down 2-3 notches and set the compressor on full. I found myself playing higher up the neck to avoid that string. Now I don't have to play harder on the G string or try to avoid it. I definitely gives me that Sting Ray sound that I was not gettin with the stock pickup.
There is also a cool factor involved. My bass is black with a black pickguard and pickguard screws. With the all black Bartolini pickup, it looks really clean; kind of like a newer model Cadillac STS with a minimum of chrome!

Edited by cd_david

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Andy Braz' post='260821' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:47 PM']Dave ,

Yeap I'd be up for an exchange - let me know how you want to do this?

Where are you based??

cheers
Andy[/quote]

Hi Andy

Im in Newcastle area, Where are you? Is it a Musicman 4 string pup?

Thanks

Dave