Why become a member? ×

Recomend essential DB accessories please

SubsonicSimpleton

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1410964039' post='2555113']
Friction, combined with the noose-like action of the strap and the length adjustment. On mine I added a small loop of cord to slip over the endpin as that seemed a better idea than trying to clip to the tailwire, and I have the length adjusted so the neck part of the strap sits a few inches above the heel. They're not great in place of handles for manoeuvring in and out of cars etc, but excellent for carrying the bass in a vertical position and walking with it.
[/quote]

Thanks for that - it does look like I need one of these alright because I'm going to put my back out one of these days trying to carry my bass by the remnants of the straps attached to the case.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

rubber stopper for end-pin - very important for playing on precious wooden floors and vital on tiled floors where the pointy end-pin will skate all over the place. Rubber end-pin stoppers can also help reduce feedback on boomy stage floors. I tried several with varying success and ended up with a rubber walking-stick end with a specially made wooden insert that closely fits the profile of the end pin. The end pin affects the quality and level of acoustic output of the bass, lots of people like wooden end-pins for this reason.

Snark do a clip on tuner (SN-2) that's a full range tuner (rather than the guitar-based SN-1) and works really well.
I got a wooden end-pin from Ben Bastin (look him up on this site) that has made my cheapo bass sound waaay better (even when I'm playing it).
Wheels and the like is very much a case of what you need. I carry my bass about a mile or so each way to my regular session in a standard gig-bag, but I'm lucky enough not to have any recurring injuries or strains. If you do go down the wheel route you'll still need to be careful with it, I've heard of end blocks getting pretty battered from going over bumps and kerbs.
Only thing I wouldn't recommend is shelling out for a hard case. I got one free with mine and since I collected it I've not used it other than when I moved house. Most places you go to play just won't have the space to store a bloody great coffin!