Why become a member? ×

Fender American Vintage Bass Tuners

Clint

Anyone had any experience fitting these?

I bought a set and had a hell of a time fitting them. Once I had manged to do this I began putting the strings on and the cogs on the D string tuner basically stiffened and then the teeth crumbled away!
I can't send them back because I had to do some minor sounding down on two of them (would not affect the cog area) so they would fit together on the head.

I'm shocked at the quality of a geuine fender part.... Think I'll stick to G&L in the future!!

Never fit them, but been looking at them. You need to chisel out a couple of bits on the headstock to get them to fit - did you do this? The Gotoh Resolites are the same look, but don't need any chiseling. Was it a Fender style headstock theywere being fitted to? The Fender tuners are made by Gotoh so they should be decent enough quality.

yeah it was a fender headstock but the chrome tuners needed a little filing work in order to lock together. I must of had a bad batch because the slightest stress and the cog crumbled... I have to say they don't look especially strong

Frankly, I have gone the opposite direction. I don't play "vintage" instruments, so if they aren't fitted already, I fit HipShot Ultra Lite tuners for their higher quality and to save about a 1/4 kilo of weight on the headstock. Fitting the HipShots eliminates neck dive, provides smoother, more accurate tuning, and come in different models, styles and finishes to coordinate with just about any bass, vintage or modern.