Why become a member? ×

Visiting UK: Help finding a Sei?

philiprst

This is my first post so please be gentle. I am also hoping that this is the right forum for my question.

I am based n the USA and I have long admired and lusted after a Sei bass. I am flying to the UK on Aug 1 and will be staying in London for 3 weeks. I would love to return with a Sei bass and I am willing to travel anywhere in the UK to find one. While I would love a new bass, the exchange rate really restricts me to a second hand instrument.

I am looking for advice about the best places to try looking. I am, of course, aware of the Bass Gallery. but they don't seem to have anything I am looking for in their used inventory. My preference would be a Flamboyant 4, right hand in good shape. I am also willing to look for a private seller but I am not sure where to start with that.

Thanks so much for you help

Philip

Hi Philip,

Welcome to Basschat mate...

Hmm...have you tried e-mailing the Bass Gallery and making them aware of the situation to see if they can help out?

Failing that, keep an eye on the UK ebay and contact any sellers etc. Also, check out the for sale forum on here, there have been a few Sei Jazz basses about, but not too many of what you're after, do a search though and see what's about mate.

Other than that, Gumtree might have something on, or Loot. They're second hand listing websites here in the UK, although they rarely yeild great results...worth checking out though.

It might also be worth your while putting a wanted post up in the wanted forum on here explaining stuff as that will attract anyone who has a Sei to offer up.

Hope you find something.

Jamie

Hi Philip, it's good to have you on Basschat! Sei's are certainly beautiful instruments - it's really good to see somebody from the US (with the incredible range of incredible luthiers you have there) coming over to buy what for me is the best of British. I have a number of Seis and intend to advertise two of them later today or tomorrow - I'm putting them onto the basschat site for a week before putting them into a brokerage deal (if they don't sell here). The first is a five string Flamboyant headless (currently strung E-C) - it has red side leds, an ash body and highly figured olive top. The stringers are flame maple. The second is a headed singlecut 6 - I think the top is amboyna burl and the board is macassar ebony - it has twin barts and a bart preamp (no leds). Both instruments are in superb condition and both have just recently professionally set-up and re-strung (the 5 by Martin) - the 5 has just one tiny mark in the finish on the back and the 6 has just a couple of tiny blemishes - most people would describe the basses as mint. As for price, both instruments will be advertised at about £1400 (the 5 has a gator case in excellent condition, the 6 has a hiscox in very good condition). These are very good prices for the condition of the instruments (even given the current downturn) so I'm not looking for offers or trades. Please watch the basses for sale section over the next day or two for photographs. If you're genuinely interested, I can travel to London.

Edited by lozbass