Why become a member? ×

Will a Short Scale help?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1408366650' post='2529423']
Why are you stretching from 2 to 5 ?

Wouldn't 7 to 5 make more sense ?

In the example I've given, quite possibly but I've noticed considerable discomfort playing in the lower frets while learning the songs for this dep job

:)
[/quote]

And to follow up to an earlier post for an intermediate scale length, tune the bass Bb Eb Ab Db Gb and put the capo on the first fret for a 32 inch scale. 32 inch scale basses are more common than they used to be, and most makers put the string anchor far enough back that you can use conventional strings.

It's not just the lesser scale, and I understand the issue because I had to put a false nut to shorten the scale on my double bass. The string tension will be about 12% less on a 32 inch scale and about 25% less on a 30-31 inch scale, using the same strings.

32 inch basses that are currently in production include:
Fender Squier vintage-modified "Tele" bass

Edited by iiipopes

Thought i would add my 10p worth,
I suffer from a rare condition which has knackered my joints and have always found playing high up the neck a real struggle. I was curious to try a short scale bass. I had the chance to play a fender modern player jazz ss scale over the weekend. I was very impressed, it was a hell of a lot more comfortable and i found it much easier to play up and down the neck quickly. I'm now in the market for one.
I'd say give it a try i'm glad i did.