Why become a member? ×

Water for Dogs latest offering "Time Jump"

Chris Sharman

Ladies and gentlemen, I offer unto you the latest from Water for Dogs. Time Jump was recorded this Saturday in the peoples republic of Belper. The track has been around for a couple of months but this is the first time we have recorded it and I offer it here for your critique;

[url="https://soundcloud.com/waterfordogs/time-jump"]https://soundcloud.com/waterfordogs/time-jump[/url]

You'll be happy to see we have cut it down to 7:30 now so you won't be there all night.

Really enjoyed this, love the jazzy feel over the trance beat, and then those little touches of rock.

If I were producing it here are the suggestions/ideas I might throw at you.

For me the guitar intro does not adds anything, Starting with the synth (18secs?) would have more impact, and would have the addded advantage that the guitar when it comes at around 50 secs, would have more impact as a completely new sound.
I know you said this is the cut down version I would still think about cutting it further. I was more than ready for each of the changes when they came (2:50, 4:46, 7:20). If you want to keep each section that long that maybe you could think about some variation on the bass or drums (not sure if you can alter the drum programming so....).

Bits I enjoyed most

Great pulsing rythym track throughout, the bass is really tight, lovely timing, nice tone and had me dancing (mentally at least).
As a guitarist I enjoyed the guitar parts, especially the contrast between the distorted parts in the first and third main part, and the mellow jazzy support to the trumpet.

Although I might want it a little shorter, you still kept me hooked for all 7:48, and left me with a smile in my ears.

Finally got round to hearing it, concur with above. Leave the initial guitar bit out and just come in with the synth. I think the section with the brass sound as the 'solo' instrument could do with trimming a bit here and there and maybe leave out some of the 'cha cha cha' synth sound stabs, getsw a bit repetitive. But I'm not a writer in any shape or form and officially know taff all. Overrall very enjoyable, bit of an Ozric Tenatcles vibe in places. Still hoping to get to Haberdashers in time to catch you guys.